Preparing Your Home for Photography
• I will be photographing both the inside and outside of your home. All of the major rooms will be photographed. Garages, attics and basements are not normally photographed unless there are unusual features that you would like included.
• If you have special features of your home that are not obvious please let me know about these so they can be include in the shoot.
• Please contain pets in the garage or out of sight. While I love pets, the amount of equipment needed to photograph your home can sometimes be upsetting to them. While I do take care not to damage your property with my equipment your pets could easily knock something over causing damage to property, or worse, harm to your pet, not to mention breakage to equipment. So to make things easier for all concerned, please contain you pets.
• Remove all vehicles from driveways and do not park directly in front of the house.
• Move garbage cans out of sight.
• Remove all garden tools including hoses and sprinklers.
• Mow and rake yard.
• Sweep driveways, sidewalks and patios.
• Clear off counter tops in kitchen and bathroom areas.
• Remove photos, notes and papers from the refrigerator.
• Turn on all interior lights.
• Turn ceiling fans and televisions off.
• De-clutter rooms which may be excessively furnished. They do not photograph well. Even the most spacious home will appear small and cramped when there is too much furniture or clutter. This is why de-cluttering is so important prior to photographs being made. The advice of Coco Chanel works just as well for getting your home ready for sale as it does for accessorizing your outfit, "Always remove one thing before you leave the house. Less is more." In terms of preparing your home, less is definitely more and you should remove as much as you can so you home will look as open and spacious as possible.
• Make all beds and tidy bedrooms. Clothes hung, or folded and put away.
• Remove piles of newspaper and magazines.
• Tuck trash cans out of view in a closet or cupboard.
• Let me know if your home contains valuable works of art. I can edit photos to make these items unrecognizable.
By following these suggestions you will be helping your home to look it's best in photographs making it more attractive to potential buyers.